Here is a quick, easy, and healthy version of a time and true family favorite. This mashed bean potato recipe is sure to taste just as good as your dairy mashed potatoes. With only five ingredients, it’s super simple and cooks in 30 minutes.
I grew up loving mashed potatoes with milk and lots of butter; I love creamy mashed potatoes with a bed of sweet corn. Whatever the consistency, it’s a perfect side to any meal. And I’ve learned it’s versatile enough to accommodate all taste buds.
To accommodate my taste buds and work around my digestive problems, I needed to find a dairy-free version that wouldn’t upset my stomach. To remove the dairy, I boiled the potatoes in chicken broth and a whole head of garlic, added Himalayan sea salt at the end of cooking, and this meal was complete. (Chicken broth is an excellent source of fatty acids and protein; they help your body build and repair healthy muscle, bone, skin, and blood cells)
Then I stopped eating meat and could no longer use chicken broth to provide my protein. Now I had to figure out a vegan version without losing the protein. I remembered Missy Chase Lapine, sneaky chef cookbook using beans in her sneaky recipes. I kept the whole head of garlic for flavor, used yellow potatoes instead of russet, added cannellini beans with Himalayan sea salt at the end, and found the right combination for the best flavor. (Yellow potatoes are more buttery in taste).
Easy and Simple Mashed Bean Potatoes quickly became one of my go-to meals to add to my monthly meal rotation.
What I love most is you can alter and play with the ingredients.
- Replace the water with chicken or vegetable broth. Or use half broth and half water.
- Experiment with herbs to increase the flavor and nutritional content.
- Use cannellini beans or great northern (I wouldn’t use chickpeas as their flavor does not disguise well in the potatoes).
- Add healthy toppings like chives, green onions, or sauteed/steamed vegetables.
- Garnish with fresh parsley
- Play with seasonings like black pepper or smoked paprika for an additional flavor boost.
This dish is truly a simple side I’m sure you can try tonight.
Experiment with the ingredients, and let me know in the comments below.
Mashed Bean Potatoes
- 10 cups of filtered water. Enough to cover the potatoes.
- 12 oz bag of yellow potatoes
- 1 - 15oz can of cannellini beans or great northern beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1-2 tsps of pink himalayan salt - or more if you desire.
1. Boil the potatoes and garlic in water on high heat until the potatoes are soft.
2. Drain the potatoes, reserve 2 cups of the potato water.
3. Puree the beans in a blender and add them to the potatoes.
4. Slowly add the potato water while you mash the potatoes. Mash and mix until you get the consistency you desire.
5. Add the salt and mix again.
For more recipes, see below:
1 thought on “Easy & Simple Mashed Bean Potatoes”
I have to try this!