This Refried Bean Quesadilla recipe is one of my family’s favorite vegetarian meals.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 16 Oz Bag Cooked Dried Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed OR 4 16oz cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tsp kosher or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups of water.
- 12 Organic Flour Tortillas
- 1 to 2 blocks of organic cheddar cheese
1. Heat olive oil in a small heavy-bottomed pot.
2. Saute the onions for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
3. Add the pinto beans and salt to the onions and mash with a potato masher or fork.
4. Add water, stir and cook until heat through.
5. Heat a pan on low, so the pan is warm.
5. Place one tortilla on the pan. Add 2 -3 spoonfuls of the beans to the tortillas and add three to six pieces of cheese on top. Place another tortilla on top like a sandwich.
6. Cook the tortilla on each side on low for about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve when each side is golden brown, and the cheese is melted.
You can modify the tortillas to be healthier, i.e., Cauliflower, Ezekiel, Almond Flour, Cassava Flour, etc.
Quick tip: Use an instant pot to cook your dry beans within 2 hours instead of soaking them overnight.
AMAZON AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER – Road to Health and Healing Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com